Hear This Idea
December 2022 • Link to project →
Hear This Idea is a podcast showcasing new thinking in philosophy, economics, and effective altruism. I started it in late 2019 with Luca Righetti, a Research Fellow at Open Philanthropy and one of my closest friends.
Here are five episodes I’m especially happy with:
- Isabelle Boemeke on Nuclear Power and Science Communication
- Isabelle Boemeke is a fashion model who became a leading advocate for nuclear power. You can watch her recent TED talk here. We hear her story, and the case for nuclear. When people ask for an episode to listen to first, I often think of this one.
- Keith Frankish on Illusionism about Consciousness
- Keith is perhaps best known for his ‘illusionist’ theory of consciousness: the view that phenomenal consciousness is a kind of pervasive illusion. I find this idea fascinating and this conversation helped me understand illusionism better.
- Anders Sandberg on the Fermi Paradox, Transhumanism, and so much more
- If you know anything about Anders Sandberg then you know it is impossible to have an uninteresting conversation with him.
- Glen Weyl on Pluralism, Radical Markets, and Social Technology
- Thomas Moynihan on the History of Existential Risk
- Michael Aird on how to do Impact-Driven Research
- If you are considering a career related to impact-driven research, you will likely get a lot of concrete (and good) advice from listening to this episode.
We write an accompanying article for each episode which typically includes a full transcript, reading recommendations, and as many relevant links as we can find.
If you have feedback for it, you can leave it through our feedback form. As a thank you for taking time to leave feedback, you’ll be able to redeem a free book from a list of books that we highly recommend. You’re welcome to fill out the form anonymously.View project →